I am available for Primary Supervision for Masters by Research (Design) and Co-Supervision for PhD (Design) candidates (Faculty of Design, Architecture & Building, UTS). My supervision strengths are best catered to candidates in the fields of design history, design studies, material culture, craft studies, visual communication, print culture, architectural history, labour history, and the history of technology. Candidates would be networked with the UTS Australian Centre for Public History. I can provide experience and support for research projects involving interviews, archival research, object analysis and visual analysis. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your research proposal.
I teach in the Design Studies program within the UTS School of Design. I have taught design and art subjects at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, UNSW and the University of Canberra.
Key teaching areas
- Design history / Material culture
- Industrial craft & maker cultures
- History & theory of technology
- Gender, design and technology
- The past and future of work
- Printing history and the history of visual communication design
- Academic literacy & research methods
- Architectural history & urban histories